Did you know Gretna Theatre is an approved Educational Improvement Organization through the State of Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development EITC program?
When you participate in Pennsylvania’s educational tax credit program, your company can receive up to a 90% tax credit when donating to an approved organization. For more information, CLICK HERE.
Gretna Theatre, in Mt. Gretna, PA, has been bringing quality theatre to South Central Pennsylvania for more than 85 years. But we take seriously our responsibility to do more than simply entertain. We also teach.
- We teach through our Children’s Educational Theatre Outreach Tour which brings theatrical productions of educational value right into the school. Currently we offer “Keeping Mr. Lincoln” ” Amelia Earhart, Lost Hero,” “Road to Freedom,” and “First Ladies, Wives of the Presidents.” We plan to expand and offer programs on additional subject matter.
- We teach through our high school intern program showing students the real world of theatre both as actors and behind the scenes.
- We teach by each year producing at least one show during our summer mainstage season of historic, literary or scientific value to young people. In 2008, that show was “Shenandoah,” which brought the Civil War to life for American History students. We have also produced “Big River,” the Broadway musicalization of Mark Twain’s “Huckleberry Finn,” “Fiddler on the Roof,” the Broadway version of Sholem Aleichem’s stories, the play version of the literary classic “Cheaper by the Dozen,” the Broadway musical story of famed American humorist Will Rogers in “The Will Rogers Follies” and the Broadway musicalization of the classic novel “Little Women”.
- We teach by offering thousands of students in 17 school districts the chance to see a show like “Shenandoah” for $5 a ticket, an 84% discount off our regular price and less than the price of a movie! In 2012, our EITC funding allowed us to offer tickets completely free to students 18 and under for the mainstage show “Little Women, the Musical.”
- We teach through our Children’s Theater program geared to introduce children ages 3-10 to live theatre while teaching them valuable life lessons.
Less than half of Gretna Theatre’s budget comes from ticket sales. For much of the rest we rely on the generosity of businesses like yours. Your tax credit-eligible donation will be used specifically to fund the Educational Improvement portion of our programming.
When you are making your decision how to spend your dollars under the EITC program,won’t you please consider supporting Gretna Theatre?
To learn more, call Roger Sands, Director of Development at 717-964-3322 or
Current EITC funders include (in alphbetical order):
“In other tax news, Governor Tom Corbett signed the tax code bill into law that expands the existing Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program, and eliminates the delay for some companies that wish to contribute. The EITC iprogram is funded by companies that contribute to scholarship organizations in exchange for a tax credit.
Companies that do business in Pennsylvania and pay certain taxes may receive a tax credit for their contribution to a scholarship organization, an education improvement organization*, and/or a pre-kindergarten scholarship organization. The tax credits awarded to businesses will be equal to 75 percent of their contribution amount, which can be increased to 90 percent upon the business committing for two years. Businesses may receive a maximum credit of $400,000 this year (2012) and $750,000 next year (2013)($200,000 for pre-k contributions). Subchapter S Corporations and Partnerships may also pass the tax credits through to their shareholders and partners.
All companies compete for the tax credits by submitting an application to the DCED Center for Business Financing. For more information on the EITC program, visit www.newpa.com/eitc. For more information on the OSTC program, visit www.newpa.com/ostc.”
*Gretna Theatre is an “Approved Educational Improvement Organization” by the State of Pennsylvania.
Gretna Productions, Inc. d/b/a Gretna Theatre is a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization. The official registration and financial information of Gretna Productions, Inc. d/b/a Gretna Theatre may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999.
Registration does not imply endorsement.